Amy Butler Everything Wristlet

Whew, this was my latest project and I had learned two new things.  One was working with a magnetic snap and the other was working with a pretty stiff fusible interfacing.  I had everything lined out and ready to go.  That included the correction that I found while searching for pictures of the inside to give myself an idea what it looks like.

prepped

The magnetic snap was so easy, I don’t know why I thought it would be difficult installation.  I searched for a video to show how it was done.  It was easy peasy!  The dot was marked for where the magnetic would be made and since the direction was printed “below”, I made sure the top of the circle was just under that dot.

magneticsnap

The fusible interfacing probably surprised me the most.  I’ve never seen it so upright and was worried it would break my machine!  It didn’t, which was a relief.  Yes, I tested it on a scrap before I went with it.  Towards the end of the project, I hand-cranked the wheel rather than let the machine stitch as I pedaled along.  You can’t really see it in the picture below but it’s not really flat, it was sort of bowled up once I sewed the side stitching as it called for to create the gusset later on.

gusset

Then this was where I started stumbling with the steps once I hit the zipper.  Once I realized it was going to be awkward stitching trying to attach the bottom part of the zipper without stitching through the pocket itself.  It could be done, but would be left with an unusable pocket and a functioning zipper.  In fact, after some search, I came across a post talking about the very same issue I was having.  There is also a part one and part three post as well.

I had thought of a possible solution and decided to sleep on it and next morning I couldn’t think of any other way and gave it a shot.  With the zipper now having been ripped out.  I should name my seam ripper, it’s come in handy so many times!  Instead of following that step the way it was printed, I basically did the step backwards in certain parts.  Sewed the bottom part of the zipper on with the top being last.  I got my pocket!

bottom-zipper

pocketmade

I hand sewn the lining and outside fabric together to finish it off and it worked just beautifully.  No matter how I attempt to set myself up, it wouldn’t allow me to stitch it together.  I didn’t want to bend the interfacing and causing a crease.  That was what led to my decision to hand stitching it closed.  Plus having it pined in place helped as I got closer to finishing it.  It didn’t take very long!

insidepeek

Now I have a pretty clutch!  It would be great for date night and carrying only the essentials.  I told Hubbs that we should have a date night soon just so I could use it.  No, that’s not really the reason to have a date night.  We’ve not had one in a while so it does call for one to be done soon.  In Amy’s book, she also suggested a brooch or a stylish pin to be added to the front flap to give it a bit more oomph.

everythingwristletcompleted

Pretty!

Leave a comment

Comments are closed.